Transfer Station

Transfer Station2024-03-27T08:41:52-04:00

Transfer Station

David D EatonTransfer Station Director
Town Hall
1024 Buckley Hwy
Union, CT 06076

Wed: 5 pm – 8 pm
Sat: 8 am – 4 pm

Phone: (860) 684-4706
Fax: (860) 684-8830


Transfer Station and Hazardous Waste Disposal Information:

If a holiday falls on Wednesday or Saturday, watch for date changes or closing.

A valid Transfer Station Permit must be affixed to the vehicle transporting the waste, preferably in LOWER LEFT corner of windshield. Permits are available in the Selectmen’s Office.

Hazardous Waste Schedule attached. Hazardous waste drop off is at the Willington Transfer Station, 57 Hancock Road, Willington CT

Items for Single Stream Recycling: NO PLASTIC BAGS

  • Newspapers
  • Newspapers & magazines must be bundled, tied or bagged in paper bags only.
  • Cardboard (preferably flattened)
  • Cans, plastic & glass bottles
  • No plates, bowls, vases, etc., (ceramics), window glass or light bulbs.

Car batteries

  • Car batteries are to be put in battery shed.

Motor oil, oil filters

  • Motor oil is to be poured into waste oil tank. Oil filters are to be drained & put into shed.


  • Antifreeze is to be poured into antifreeze tank.

Iron, steel (metals)


Refrigerators, air conditioners & freezers

  • All doors must be removed from refrigerators & freezers & put into refrigerator storage area.


  • Tires are to be put in tire building. Tires may be left mounted on rims.

Solid Waste

  • Solid waste consists of household trash. No magazines, books, newspapers, bottles, cans or recyclable plastic containers.

Bulky Waste

  • Bulky waste consists of lumber and/or wood scraps less than 48” long, shingles, wallboard scraps, carpeting & floor covering, plumbing fixtures (tubs, toilet, etc.), furniture, ashes, light bulbs, ceramics.



  • Brush only, less than 3” in diameter. (No lumber, painted or unpainted, or stumps)
    No grass clippings or hay, leaves, or animal wastes (manure).


  • Deposited in container, lower level of the Transfer Station


  • Deposited in container, lower level of the Transfer Station

Clothing, Textiles, Books:

  • Good usable clothing and textiles may be placed in the clothing collection box.
  • Books may be placed in the Book Drop box.

Returnable Bottles and Cans:

Donation bin from The Arc Eastern Connecticut, which is a nonprofit serving nearly 1,000 people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) in Eastern Connecticut. The Arc supports people with IDD by offering life skills training, vocational supports, job readiness preparation, residential supports and more.

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

MidNEROC – Household Chemical Waste Drop-Off Facility

Hazardous materials must be taken to the MidNEROC Household Chemical Waste Drop-Off Facility located on Hancock Road in Willington. There is no charge for the use of this facility by Union residents, with proof of residency. Business will be charged based on the material type and quantity. Call (860) 965-1910 to make arrangements

  • The facility is open 9:00am to 2:00pm the third Saturday of each month from mid-April to early November. For further information, call them at (860) 965-1910.  See Schedule for this year below.

How to Prepare Materials:

  • Pack carefully in original containers only, sealed and labeled.
  • Do not mix materials.
  • Place carefully in the car, prevent tipping.
  • Drive carefully. Do not smoke while handling and transporting materials.


  • Up to 10 gallons liquid (1 gallon or less of each material) and 100 pounds dry material.
  • Bring proof of residency.
  • No commercial users.


Materials Not Accepted

  • Latex Paint
    • Latex paint can be dried out in its can and safely disposed of in the trash or given to someone to use.
  • Car Batteries, Used Motor Oil & Anti-freeze
    • Your town recycles these.
  • Explosives, Fireworks, Ammunition
    • Contact the Tolland State Police barracks.
  • Gas Cylinders – Refillable Type
    • Return to the company that distributed them.
  • Wood Preservative containing Penta Chlorophenol
    • There is no known safe way of disposal.
    • Store in leak-proof containers out of reach of children.
  • Water Reactive Materials and Chemicals such as peroxides and metallic sodium
    • Contact your local fire marshal for proper disposal.
  • Radioactive Materials
    • Contact Connecticut DEP at 424-3372.
  • Biologically Active Material
    • Usually pathological matter.
    • Contact Conn. DEP Hazardous Waste Division at 424-3372.
  • Medication
    • Usually can be disposed of with trash.
    • Contact Conn. Dept. of Health Services at 566-3186.
  • Unknown Material
    • Contact Conn. DEP Waste Bureau at 424-3366.

Related Posts

Join Our Mailing List

    Go to Top