No Hunting or Trapping Licenses will be issued to any person unless proof is provided of a prior hunting license not more than 5 years old OR proof of the successful completion of the Connecticut Conservation Education/Firearms Safety course. Courses are available through the Bureau of Natural Resources.
Union was the last town to be settled east of the Connecticut River, largely because of its rough terrain and poor soil. In 1633, John Oldham, an adventurer from Massachusetts, obtained specimens of black lead or graphite from the Indians. During the Revolutionary War Governor Trumbull tapped this valuable resource for use at cannon foundries. On July 1, 1720 the General Assembly sold 12,500 acres to 12 proprietors for 307 pounds, comprising the area that is now Union.