The Department of Public works maintains all town roads within Union. Their goal is to keep the roads safe, clean, timed, smooth traveling, and plowed in the winters.
In addition to road maintenance, the DPW maintains and repairs all town equipment, buildings, grounds, and cemeteries. The Town Transfer Station is also maintained by the Department of Public Works.
Join Our Mailing List
TOWN OF UNION CONNECTICUT
Union was the last town to be settled east of the Connecticut River, largely because of its rough terrain and poor soil. In 1633, John Oldham, an adventurer from Massachusetts, obtained specimens of black lead or graphite from the Indians. During the Revolutionary War Governor Trumbull tapped this valuable resource for use at cannon foundries. On July 1, 1720 the General Assembly sold 12,500 acres to 12 proprietors for 307 pounds, comprising the area that is now Union.