November 14, 2018
Union Free Public Library Board of Directors Meeting Minutes 11-14-18
Members present: Ellen Silbermann, Rose Novak, Bertha Syphers, Ed Capomacchio, Karen Calabrese, and Library Director Cailin Rae.
The meeting was called to order at 7:10 p.m.
Secretary’s Report •
The Oct. 10, 2018 minutes were read. Ellen Silbermann made a motion to approve the minutes as altered and finalized. Bertha Syphers seconded the motion, and it passed.
• Hoopla: Cailin Rae reported that site is live, but she has not yet received the invoice. Bibliomation is adding Hoopla information to the search function. Cailin presented the Hoopla marketing/promotional materials, including bookmarks and flyers.
• Cailin met today with the Union School middle school teachers. She plans to visit the school on Nov. 26 to give a lesson to grades 5-8 on Bibliomation and Hoopla, and how to vet sources.
• Halloween: Trunk or Treat was a success! Josh Lambert lent his truck. It was festively decorated by attending board members and featured “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!” artwork by Karen Calabrese. Cailin facilitated creative pumpkin decorating for participating students.
• The Board discussed a potential date for the Hoopla launch/Open House and decided to hold the event January 12 from 9:00-1:00. There will be coffee, hot chocolate, and other snacks and treats.
• UFPL Bylaws: Any amendment to the bylaws must be submitted in writing to the Chair.
• Board Timeline: The board decided to vote to make the timeline an official document. After review by board members, Rose Novak made a motion to accept the document. Bertha Syphers seconded, and the motion passed.
• Rose Novak is officially stepping down as Treasurer. Ed Capomacchio accepted the office. The Board voted for Ed Capomacchio as the new UFPL BOD Treasurer.
• The Preliminary Budget for FY 2019-2020 was reviewed. It will be finalized at the next meeting. Extended weekly operating hours for the library will be submitted.
• Cailin discussed creating additional community programs.
• Winter Read: Cailin described the program for new board members. It is similar to Summer Reading: participants read a certain number of books in a specified amount of time, usually during Winter Vacation.
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 12 at 7:00 p.m.
Ellen Silbermann made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:45 p.m. Ed Capomacchio seconded the motion. It passed and the meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.
Rose Novak, Secretary