September 9, 2018
Union Free Public Library Board of Directors
Special Meeting Minutes 9-9-18
Members present: Ellen Silbermann, Rose Novak, Bertha Syphers, Ed Capomacchio, Karen Calabrese, Josh Lambert, and Library Director Cailin Rae.
The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m.
• The August 8, 2018 meeting minutes were read. Bertha Syphers made a motion to approve the minutes; Karen Calabrese seconded the motion, and the motion passed.
New Board Member Introductions
• The board welcomed new BOD members Karen Calabrese and Josh Lambert.
• Hoopla: Cailin Rae reported that the transition to the Hoopla online service continues to be in process.
• Old Home Day: The day was a success! Cailin’s crafts program—making colorful tiedyed t-shirts—enjoyed enthusiastic participation. The book sale and donation jar raised $135. Thank you to all who supported and continue to support the library! Visitors also enjoyed the complimentary snacks and beverages including cider donuts, pastries, watermelon slices, and coffee.
• Summer Reading Program: Cailin will award prizes to winners and participants at an assembly in early October (date to be determined). 2018/2019 Fall/Winter Community Programs: The library plans to hold the Self Defense program by Quest Martial Arts in January or February. The board also discussed plans for this year’s Halloween celebration. Karen Calabrese suggested a pumpkin-decorating contest for the Fall Festival and will contact Steve Jackopsic. Josh Lambert offered to donate his truck for Trunk or Treat, and will check with Buell’s about buying pumpkins at a reduced rate for the contest.
• Rose Novak presented a letter designating new authorized signers for the Stafford Savings Bank account. Ellen Silbermann made a motion to authorize new signers. Ed Capomacchio seconded the motion, and the motion passed.
• Cailin announced that $500 was generously donated to the library by The Resource Foundation.
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 10 at 7:00 p.m.
Ellen Silbermann made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:27 p.m. Bertha Syphers seconded the motion. It passed and the meeting was adjourned at 8:27 p.m.
Rose Novak, Secretary