Trade Names

State law requires that any person doing business in Connecticut under any name other than their own must either register a trade name in the town where their business is conducted, or register with the Secretary of State's office as a corporation or limited liability company.

Please bring your permit and proper identification, such as a driver's license or photo ID, to the Town Clerk's office to file your Trade Name Certificate.

If you cease operations under your trade name or if you decide to change your trade name, you must file a Trade Name Cancellation. All parties who signed the initial Trade Name Certificate must appear to sign the cancellation.


Trade Name Filing:   $10.00
Trade Name Change / Cancellation:   $10.00